Monday, January 19, 2015

Well, everyone, sounds like you're all having fun. Pretty much the same story here ;D Actually, I've enjoyed the last few days since P-Day. Usually when we go out to find I have to force myself to put on a good face and have a good attitude, but I actually was a bit excited for it. Now that I can understand where everything's going, (unless the other person gets into an argument about space travel with my companion, of course,) I am able to pitch in more, and the more unity we have, the better we teach, and the more "success" we have. Things are definitely looking up, and even though my self-esteem/pride gets squished when I go to do a language pass off or sihfaan (practice teaching) with Elder Barker, I can see how far I've come. We ask people on the street all the time how long they think I've been out. The lowest length we've heard is three months. When they find out it's only been one, they think it's super awesome, and they're more interested in listening. Pretty good if I do say so myself.
 
In any case, the work is moving along. We talked to a devout Catholic the other day and he asked us "what's the success rate" when we go out finding. Meaning; how many people out of all the people we talk to actually get baptized/join the church. I answered that "success isn't measured by baptisms. Our success is when we fulfill our purpose, which is to help others come unto Christ. anytime we help anyone in anyway, we count it as a success. So, our success rate is pretty much Yat Baak percent." The guy was super surprised by that answer. I've thought a bit about that, and it's really helped me to focus less on what I think I should be getting out of my mission, out of others, and more on what my mission should be getting out of me. There's a missionary who just went home this last transfer. He never got to see a single person get baptized. Everyone says he's a legend. I'm pretty sure we're one of the only organizations on the planet and in the history of histories that doesn't count "failure" as a failure. Pretty sweet if you ask me.
 
Funny story; praying in Cantonese is how we do it, obviously, and thus far I haven't had any goofy mess ups. But just the other day I prayed that God would help us to have the Holy Ghost's cheese. It's a new brand of spray cheese. Pray Cheese. Spray it on in the morning and have twenty-four hours of temptation protection. And now with new Life Guide enhancements!
 
All joking aside, though, I am learning a lot about the language and about teaching and about becoming a better missionary/man/husband/human being. I've been thinking about this experience, and realized that people will pay thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars for professionals to teach them how to be successful and happy people. They'll spend countless hours pouring over books and articles. And most of them will never quite make it. But I have the chance and the ability over the next two years to have all of that happen. I almost felt like I should be paying something more. But how amazing that the Lord does not ask for our money. Everything the world holds in value, to Him, is pointless. All he wants is for us to come unto Him, give up our sins, and be changed. It's a pretty good trade.


Just being missionaries



The hardest thing besides the language? Waking up in the morning. Usually I have a dream about going to sleep, and just as I'm about to fall asleep and everything is super good, the alarm goes off. I feel like I haven't gotten any sleep at times. But everyone else is like that as well. It's just part of the job.
 
You guys are all so awesome and I'm glad to have such a great family. I've been telling stories galore about the crazy things we do. Can't wait to spend time with you. Actually, I can, because I've still got nineteen months. But then it's home free. Love you all.
 
P.S. Sorry about the money situation. I was going to leave it on the card, but apparently the exchange rate will drop after Chinese New year, which is in two or three weeks, and won't pick back up till this time next year. So, Elder Barker advised me to pull the money out now so that I get the most bang for my buck.
 
Thank you for worrying about my situation, though. And I'm good with money. I haven't spend hardly any yet.






A pretty cool park in our area




riding the Sky Ferry back to mainland Hong Kong





 tall buildings






Wan Chai chapel which is the Asia church headquarters

No comments:

Post a Comment